To get a better understanding of our terms and conditions please read the terms and conditions in English.
Please keep in mind that only the German original terms and conditions text is legally valid. The explanatory notes are for the purpose of clarification only.
The following General Terms and Conditions shall apply to all contracts on binding and fee-based registrations for German language courses via the website daf.service.uni-mannheim.de entered by the client (henceforth: participant) and the University of Mannheim Service und Marketing GmbH, L 9, 7, 68161 Mannheim (henceforth: University of Mannheim) in the version provided upon conclusion of the contract.
The language examinations offered by the University of Mannheim Service und Marketing GmbH/German as a Foreign Language are subject to separate terms and conditions.
Stand: 15. September 2021
General Terms and Conditions, and Terms of Payment for the University of Mannheim Service und Marketing GmbH/DaF
(German as a Foreign Language)
1. Scope, General Participation Requirements
All of our courses are specifically designed to suit adult learners. Minors from the age of 17 are allowed to participate only when presenting a permit and declaration of their parents/guardians (parental waiver and release of liability). The courses are not suited for persons under the age of 17.
2. Terms of Payment
Payment of the course fee is due by 3 days after receipt of the confirmation email. Only after receipt of the full course fee the reservation is binding. There will be no further request for payment. In case of non-payment, the registration will be automatically cancelled after the payment deadline stated above.
3. Conclusion of Contract, Registration and Liability
Registrations are binding when they are submitted as online registration forms or in written form. Each written registration, including the submission of online registration forms, is legally binding and participants are obliged to make the full payment for the registered services if course participation is not canceled within the cancellation period. This does not apply to course bookings with accommodation included. In the latter case, separate cancellation conditions as listed in section 6 and especially 6.5 of the General Terms and Conditions apply.
Changes may be made to the registration for a processing fee of EUR 25,-.
The registration shall be confirmed with a written registration confirmation in cases where the full amount of the course fee has been paid.
The receipt of payment to the account of the University of Mannheim Service and Marketing GmbH, is the decisive factors for the reservation of a place in the course. A course place is reserved in these cases only.
4. Payment and Charges
Payment is accepted in cash, by credit card, by bank transfer or by debit card. Banking fees for payments to our account, such as payments by cheque, bank transfer etc. are paid by the course participant.
5. Cancellation by the University of Mannheim Service and Marketing GmbH
5.1 We are entitled to cancel the agreement for good cause, notwithstanding any other reasons, in particular if
- there is an insufficient number of registrations for a course or
- the course is canceled for reasons beyond our control.
5.2 In the above cases, examination fees already paid will be refunded in full.
- If the course is canceled for reasons beyond our control or less than two weeks before the starting date, the course participant is not entitled to compensation claims.
- We recommend travel cancellation insurance to our participants.
- The right to immediate termination for cogent cause remains unaffected.
6. Cancellation and Termination by the Participant
- Proper cancellation notice of a course is possible if notice is given in writing up to two weeks before the start of the course. We shall have the right to claim reasonable compensation by charging the participant with a processing fee of 300,00 €. If proper cancellation notice is given, the course fees will be returned to the participant less a processing fee of 300,00 €.
- In case of cancellation within a period of two weeks prior to the start of the course, the participant must pay 80% of the course fee. No refunds are made after the beginning of the course.
- In all cases (section 6.1 and 6.2), the participant shall be free to provide proof that we have accrued lesser or no loss or damage.
- The right of the participant to immediate termination remains unaffected.
- Bookings for accommodation are binding. Rent must be paid even if the accommodation services are not used. In any case, rent must be paid in full if re-letting is not possible for the duration of the rental period. The participant shall be free to provide proof that we have accrued lesser or no loss or damage.
- Specific cancellation policies apply to all booked examinations.
7. Insurance and Liability
Course fees do not include insurance cover. Course participants are responsible for their own medical insurance, accident insurance and third party liability insurance cover, if no such insurance was specifically agreed upon with the course organizer. Course participants will be held responsible for any damage culpably caused by them, especially for damages caused in accommodation arranged by the Universität Mannheim Service und Marketing GmbH.
8. Participant’s Inability to Attend a Course
8.1 If a course participant cannot attend a course either completely or in part after the beginning of the course because of personal reasons (e.g. illness, problems of residency or personal obligations), they do not have any claim to a refund of the course fees or participation in another course at a later time.
8.2 In individual cases, where a valid reason is presented, we may postpone the value of the course fees paid to a later course date. A valid reason may be, for example, that the visa has not been granted. In this case, the participant must give notice in writing and present the notice of rejection by the embassy at least one week before the start of the course. In this case, a processing fee of EUR 60,- will be charged.
In case of illness, postponement of courses is possible by submitting a medical certificate or a doctor’s note.
For postponing, a processing fee of EUR 25,- will be charged.
Cancellation of the booked course or rebooking for a subsequent course is possible up to 5 working days before the start of the course at the latest.
9. Certificates and Confirmations
At the end of the course you can get a certificate (if you passed the course) or a certificate of attendance if you attend the course regularly. If you are absent more than 20% of the class time (e.g. more than 3 days in the intensive course), you can only get a certificate of attendance for real attendance in the course.
10. Change of Course / Allocation
Allocation to a course level is made with a placement test. Participants are not entitled to choose their course times (mornings or afternoons). These will be determined by the organizer.
11. Data Protection
The course participant agrees that during the University of Mannheim’s proper execution of the registration, billing and assessment procedures, the course participant’s data will be electronically collected and processed.
12. Place of Performance, Place of Jurisdiction, Choice of Law
a. German law is exclusively valid with an exclusion of the UN Sales Convention. In the event that the participant is a consumer, this legal option shall only apply if protection granted by compulsory regulations of the country’s legal system, in which the consumer resides, is not withdrawn (Günstigkeitsprinzip).
b. Place of performance as well as exclusive place of jurisdiction is our registered office, insofar as the course participant is not a consumer, but a trader, a legal entity under public law or a special fund under the public law. The same holds true when the course participant who is consumer does not have any general place of jurisdiction in Germany or in the EU or place of residence or ordinary stay is not known in the time the complaint is raised.